Followers

A message to any view

Monday, August 30, 2010

Starcraft II, or How Video Games Can Improve



I'm going to post some more interesting crap here so that you readers might feel like you aren't wasting your time. So here goes:

I play Starcraft II. Let me rephrase that: I have played Starcraft II. I love the game, but it's so hard to play it consistently. In this day and age, a video game needs a lot to keep the player hooked. Portraits do a bang-up job... until about 100 wins. After that, it's hard to stay hooked through the next 150 wins. But then there are achievements, which make you feel pretty great... until you realize they're all pretty basic; nothing is rewarded that is impressive, really. I love the hell out of Modern Warfare 2's Title and Emblem system. Doing cool things is rewarded with shiny icons and titles to make you feel like a special snowflake, even though millions of others have them. That has spoiled me. Keeping me hooked until 2500 kills on one weapon is rare, but when I know I'll get a Title that shows my passion for the weapon is all I need. Starcraft II would be very difficult to apply this to. Getting kills using a certain unit is somewhat silly to reward, but that's not to say I wouldn't do it for a trophy of some sort. Any other thing worth tracking is just silly. Buildings destroyed? Piff. That's not worth my time, it's a side effect. I have no qualms with the game; I love it. I'm just saying that they have a harder time keeping gamers hooked. And frankly, I'll be playing a lot more Modern Warfare 2 because of it. After all, only 30 more headshots and my P90 is camouflaged. Speaking of, I'm out of here. I have to answer the Call of Duty.

No comments:

Post a Comment